Monday, June 12, 2006

14

______________________________

Zachary Katznelson wrote an article for the Gaurdian and it's re-printed at Common Dreams

Good, well-written. About the same as all of the other pieces I've seen all over the Internet about Guantanamo Bay since the suicides.

Until I reached the final paragraph and it felt like I had been punched, hard.

Mohammed El Gharani, our client at Reprieve, was only 14 when he was seized in a mosque in Pakistan. He was only 15 when he arrived in Guantánamo Bay. Already twice this year he has tried to kill himself, once by hanging, once by slitting his wrists. Let us pray there is movement by the US to finally do justice, before Mohammed, truly only a child, or anyone else in Guantánamo Bay commits suicide.

I had heard rumors that there were children being held at GITMO, but this is the first confirmation I've known of.

Perhaps I've not been paying this enough attention....

14.....

Here's a link to Reprieve, the group Katznelson works for.


I'm still trying to get my head around this.

2 Comments:

Blogger Again said...

I'm still trying to get my head around this.

reminds me of How did we fall so far so fast?

"Man that seems like a million years ago — back when the World Trade Center was still standing, the United States retained the moral authority to criticize other nations for abusing civil liberties without looking like a country of complete hypocrites and the Supreme Court had never stolen a presidential election....

Looking back, it strikes me that many of us who thought we’d rejected the boastfulness of the more extreme proponents of American exceptionalism, had actually been taken in, after all, at least a little. I know I was. As pessimistic as I felt about Bush’s upcoming presidency, I never believed at the gut level that the United States, the most powerful nation the world had ever known, could be so grievously and irrevocably harmed by just one bad president (even with the help of a bad Congress). Sure, I expected Bush to do harm, probably a lot of harm; but nothing like this."

Tue Jun 13, 01:52:00 AM  
Anonymous ML said...

Since this thread covers teenageers, I set a couple more tripwires for the kids blogging at the Autonomist.

Enjoy those mindbenders!

Tue Jun 13, 07:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home