Friday, August 11, 2006

Thank God for the Michigan State Police

______________________________________

Hard on the heels of the alleged plot to blow up airlines using Gatorade, the Michigan State Police show us why we definitely needed the Patriot Act:

Around 1:00am August 11th the three men purchased cell phones from the Wal-Mart store on M-81 near the corner of M-24 in Caro. Wal-Mart places a limit on the number of cell phones that can be purchased at once, that number is three. The three men allegedly bought 80 by purchasing them three at time so that an alert wouldn't be triggered by the cash register. They also paid cash.

An alert clerk grew suspicious and called Tuscola County central dispatch. The Caro Police Department sent a unit and stopped the rented van on M-81 just east of Caro. The suspects were headed towards Bad Axe on M-81 where there is another Super Wal-Mart.

The three men are described as being of Palestinian descent but live in Texas. Police say the three, ages 19, 22, and 23 appear to be naturalized citizens.

Do you see?!!! Palestinian appearing Middle Eastern men are trying to take away our cell phones!

You won't get away with you dirty Middle Eastern men!

The three suspects are now facing two counts each of Homeland Security Terrorism charges. All three suspects are due to be arraigned August 12th.

Serves them right. This is but a taste of what the Israelis have been going through for years now. You can hardly find a cell phone in all of Israel thanks to those dirty Middle Eastern Palestinians.

10 Comments:

Anonymous b said...

Why'd you remove my comment?? I wish I could remember all of it, but basically it called you on saying "dirty Muslim men" not once, but 3 times.

If you'd read the article it says they were buying them to resell for 34 bucks.

If you were trying to be funny, you weren't. You came off very racist.

Fri Aug 11, 11:33:00 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Ummm...

I didn't remove your comment.

I was trying to be funny.

I would think you would know by now that I wouldn't refer to anyone in those terms in a serious way.

It should have tipped you off when I said we definite;y needed the Patriot Act and that you couldn't find a cell phone in all of Israel...

See? Funny?

Right?

Sat Aug 12, 08:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Peter N said...

I like your blog! I'll be checking it out in the future. :-)

Sat Aug 12, 10:01:00 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

Thanks Peter. Come back soon. I promise I'm not a racist.

Sat Aug 12, 11:42:00 AM  
Anonymous b said...

Robert,
I thought maybe you'd been drinking or something. There was nothing to indicate you were being sarcastic or funny. I showed someone in my house and his comment was, "wow, what a racist!!"

Reading this might offend a lot of people who haven't been here before and even those of us who have.

I can relate - sorta. My What IF about the terror threats is something I wish I hadn't written because people took it seriously, the tongue in my cheek wasn't visible enough.

The same applies to your post. Perhaps put "satire" or something to preface it so people won't think you're serious and a racist.

Sat Aug 12, 08:15:00 PM  
Anonymous brian said...

"Perhaps put "satire" or something to preface it so people won't think you're serious and a racist."

It's a sad state of the world when somebody can write something so obviously satirical, but it can be mistaken as serious.

When I read some of the right wing blogs, I can't believe it's NOT satire. There exist in this world people who actually believe they are better than others, simply because of the colour of their skin.

Sat Aug 12, 08:55:00 PM  
Anonymous b said...

Brian wrote:

It's a sad state of the world when somebody can write something so obviously satirical, but it can be mistaken as serious.

Maybe obvious to you, but it sure wasn't to me, nor to others I know who have read it. I still think, even if it was meant to be satirical, it's racist and inflammatory.

What if someone unfamiliar with this blog reads it? How will they know Robert's trying to be humorous? All they'll see is "dirty Muslim men" and variations of the same phrase. How do you think they'd react???

Sat Aug 12, 10:43:00 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Anybody still watch Staurday Night Live?

I always love their commercial parodies. The best ones were when you didn't know they were parodies. They would start as if they were a normal ad and then veer off on some odd, and often very funny, tangent.

The thing was, if you started the parody with "The following is a parody of a commercial" it kind of loses something.

I'm not claiming it's funny. I'm not claiming anything about it other than it is indeed a parody of every damned right-wing blog post these days. And if anyone has any doubts about that, take a spin through Rightblogistan and then tell me I'm off base.

As for anyone getting offended, I'll chance it.

As for B saying what I wrote, even as satire, is racist: That's the glory of the Internet. It's large enough for everyone to have their own opinion.

Sat Aug 12, 11:01:00 PM  
Anonymous B said...

Robert,

This is NOT Saturday Night Live. It's a whole different medium and a whole different time. Making remarks against Muslims at THIS TIME is insensitive and I'll say it again -- racist.

I emailed a few people I know -- writers themselves and one a Muslim. They were all offended by it. I wanted to be sure it wasn't just me.

I'm sorry this has become an issue and one we both keep dealing with but I won't change my tune.

Sun Aug 13, 10:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Die for the Elite said...

Adding quotes around "dirty Muslim men" should be sufficient, or even better, use quotes and follow the quote with [sic].

Sun Aug 13, 03:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home